Precious Promises

9:04 AM


It's Thursday, and for some of you, the test has already begun.  It's scary, exciting, and wow, the time sure has flown this year!  In the midst of all this anticipation, though, there are so many fears and "what ifs".  To our human finite brains, it seems like there are so many reasons to be worried, but really we have no legitimate reason, because "He has granted to us his precious and very great promises" (2 Peter 1:4).  Let's meditate on them:

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding."  Proverbs 3:5
No, we don't know anywhere near enough.  There is so much left to learn, and certainly not enough time to learn it in.  But we know that God is faithful and we must just trust His love.  We cannot rely on what we know and understand, but only on Him.

"Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."  Isaiah 41:10
Do not be afraid.  God is with you.  Our strength does not come from ourselves, but from Him.  He will uphold us.  We are so very helpless, but God is strong.

"Truly God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart."  Psalm 73:1
Yes, our God is so good.  Why do I ever doubt it?  He has proven Himself to me over and over again.  I've seen that He is good, even when I am brutish and ignorant, like a beast toward Him (Psalm 73:22), and I know that He will be good again.  

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28
You've probably read and heard this verses many, many times.  Sometimes, when we hear something a lot, it can become somewhat meaningless to us.  We forget to really meditate on it.  Let's think about this verse carefully.  "And we know" -- we are absolutely convinced, we have not a doubt of it.  "That for those who love God" -- Do you love God?  If so, then this promise is for you.  This promise is for believers, the redeemed, lovers of God.  "All things work together for good" -- this is the promise.  God is working everything for your good!  What better promise could you receive?  The God of the universe is working out every single minute detail for your good.  Now, we have to realize that our good is not always what we perceive to be our good.  Sometimes, we think, "Oh, how good it would be for me to get ____!"  And sometimes we're wrong.  Sometimes this thing would be disastrous for us, and years later we are just filled with thankfulness to God that He did not give us what we had wanted.  I've said this before, and I'll say it again: if the idea of God being in control is discomfiting to you, then there's a real problem -- you are not trusting God.  "For those who are called according to His purpose" -- you are a called, chosen child of God.  He lovingly adopted you as His child.  Will your Father not do what is best for you?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."  Philippians 4:6-7
About a week ago, I wrote a blog post on this passage (I never got around to publishing it, though).  In it, I talked about how when we are stressed and worried, we must bring it to the Lord, and then He gives us peace.  I took my post's advice, and I prayed, asking God to give me peace.  And He did.  I've felt such a great peace about the test the past few days.  Yes, you could argue that it's because I'm better prepared than I used to be, and I won't say that that doesn't make me less nervous. But in all honesty, more studying often does result in more anxiety, because the more we study, the more we become aware of how much we don't know.  And when these worries and fears threaten to overwhelm us, all we have to do is just "take it to the Lord in prayer".

Yes, God's way is absolutely perfect (Psalm 18:30).  Let's trust Him.  We don't have any reason not to.  He is faithful to fulfill His promises.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Wow! This is just the reminder needed for today as I prepare for the test. Thanks sweet girl and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I needed this today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Thanks for using your experience to encourage others :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But in all honesty, more studying often does result in more anxiety, because the more we study, the more we become aware of how much we don't know." That's what my boys have been saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Isaiah 41:10! It hangs framed by my bed and reminds me that God will strengthen, uphold, and help me....just as He will you! Your encouragment is a blessing and you are a good example as you endeavor to trust our sovereign God in all outcomes.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!