Sweeter than Honey

5:48 PM


A few weeks ago, I got the idea into my head to give the blog a make-over.  It looked kind of outdated, and there were a few things that I wanted to change.  I figured that I would spend an afternoon or two on it, and then my blog would get a fresh, professional look that was exactly what I was envisioning.  Ta-da!  It just didn't work that way.  I spent more than five hours on the contact form alone, only to remove it accidentally later on.  I think that I have now (mostly) finished the make-over.  There are still some things that don't look quite right, but I'm hoping that all the kinks will eventually work themselves out.  Since I've updated the blog, I thought that this would be a good time to tell you about why I started Sweeter than Honey.  I can tell that God really orchestrated everything to make it work out, because there were times when I wasn't at all sure that this blog was going to happen.

 I really don’t know when I first got the idea.  It was probably sometimes in late 2013 or 2014.  I remember one night telling my family that I thought it would be neat to have an e-magazine for Bible Bee contestants called “Sweeter than Honey”.  (You know, Bible “Bee” and Sweeter than “Honey” from Psalm 119:103 -- sorry, I'm sure at least one of my readers thinks that's cheesy.)  I wasn’t seriously considering it at the time; I just love to daydream about great ideas.  Fast-forward to the end of 2014.  The idea popped back into my head again, but this time as a blog.  I think that it was on Christmas Eve.  I was dusting, because extended family was coming the next day.  Dusting can take quite a while, so this gave me a lot of time to think about it.  By the time I was finished, I was seriously considering starting a blog.

 I still felt uncertain about it, though.  Honestly, my fear was holding me back.  I knew that I was not a great writer, and who enjoys displaying their lack of talent to the whole world?  I knew that I did not.  But the idea would not leave me.  One day, I prayed out of desperation, “Lord, if I shouldn’t start this blog, then please help me to just stop thinking about it.”  Well, I didn’t.  In fact, it took me several hours to fall asleep each night, because I just could not stop thinking about Sweeter than Honey.  I would lie there and think about posts that I wanted to write and pray for God’s wisdom in this decision.

 Finally, about a month later, I told my parents about it and asked for their permission.  I was very happy when they said yes.  But there was still one more problem.  I am not techy (you probably figured that out from the beginning of this post), and I knew that I would need help getting started.  I thought that my older sister could help me, and she might even write some posts for me (she’s a great writer!), but I didn’t want to ask her.  I didn’t want her to feel obligated.  I wasn’t planning to start the blog for a few more months anyway, so I put off asking her for a little while.


 It was the day before Valentine’s Day.  Joy was wiping the stove, and I was washing the dishes.  She was talking, but like the good little sister that I am, I wasn’t really paying attention.  Suddenly, I heard her saying something about starting a blog for Bible Bee contestants.  “And we could have interviews and posts with tips.”  (I still need to work on bringing the first one to fruition.)  I turned around, trying not to drip soapy water all over the floor, “What?!”  I couldn’t believe it.  God had given her the idea, too, so that I didn’t even have to ask.

 Joy worked on creating Sweeter than Honey in March, and I published my first post on April 15th, 2015.  I was so excited to get two followers that day!  (The rest took a while to come.)  As I blogged, something that I hadn’t expected began to happen.  I had started Sweeter than Honey as a way to encourage others to memorize and study God’s Word, but I ended up encouraging myself instead.  You know, it’s pretty hypocritical to write a blog post telling people about why they should make memorizing a priority, and then not do it yourself.  When I would be tempted to be lazy in my Bible reading and study, I would remember that I had just written a blog post about it, and the old saying “practice what you preach” would ring in my ears.  God has taught me other things, too.  I'm learning to be aware of how statements can be misinterpreted (I'm sure my blogging friends can relate), not to get too caught up in the number of pageviews and followers, and I think that I've also improved a bit as a writer.  I'm pretty sure that I have not mastered any of those areas, though ;).

I hope that God has used this blog to encourage you.  That’s why I started it.  Even though some posts on this blog are written specifically for Bible Bee contestants, I hope that you can be encouraged by it even if you have never heard of the National Bible Bee.  God’s Word is for everyone.  You are not too old or young, rich or poor, intellectual or nonintellectual, good or bad for the Word of God.  You need it just like everyone else.  Scripture changes lives, and I hope that you will make it a priority in your life to know it and its Author better.

 May God bless you all.  Thanks for reading!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This is so cool! I love the new look! God really orchestrates things amazingly!
    ~ LIght4theLord

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing! Your blog has encouraged me in so many ways, both in studying for BB and in being diligent to study God's Word when it's not BB time. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow thanks for sharing! I had no idea that's how STH came to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat story! :) So glad you *did* listen to God's nudge and started this!! :) I love seeing the BB recaps, esp. when I haven't gone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!