Come to Me

4:26 PM


Recently, I've been feeling very overwhelmed.  I'm now in my Junior year of high school, I have eight siblings, and I want to be able to serve my church family.  And to top it all off, I'm in Bible Bee.  I love and enjoy each of these things, but I struggle to find time for everything in the sixteen hours that I am awake (which are slowly but surely turning into seventeen hours).  I spend so much time worrying about how I'm going to get everything done, that I can hardly focus on actually living my life.

One day, I complained aloud to myself, "I am just so tired."  My nine year-old brother was in the room and piped up, "We have a memory passage about that: Matthew 11:25-30."  The last three verses of that passage say, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”  Well, I was convicted!  I was also embarrassed for having set a bad example by complaining in front of my little brother.

My brother was right: Jesus has told us to come to Him when we are weary.  Psalm 71:3 says, "Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress."  We can come continually to Him.  He has promised to always be with us (Matthew 28:20).  The trials of this life drive us to Christ.  Maybe God is sending me this so that I will come to Him more.  Maybe He is giving me more than I know what to do with, so that I will place everything in His hands.  Like Psalm 94:19 says, "When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul."

A few days ago, when I was feeling especially overwhelmed, I memorized 2 Corinthians 1:3-11.  I was just going through the motions, learning the passage, when I came to this: "For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death."  Now I know that that probably seems like a rather extreme way to describe how I feel right now, but if you put it in much milder terms, that's me right now.  The passage goes on to say, "But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead."  Yes, when we are "so utterly burdened beyond our strength" it causes us to lean upon God for strength.  We know that we have no where else to go.  Christ's power is made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).

You know, when you repented of your sins and trusted in Christ, it was because you knew that you were not sufficient.  You knew that you were sinful and in need of salvation.  You realized that only Christ could fill you.  We must continue to learn this -- that we need Christ -- over and over again, for the rest of our lives.  We must run to Him for help, because we can do nothing on our own strength.

We may not get to everything on our to-do list, but remembering that God is in control and has placed everything in our lives to grow us in Him is such a comfort!  As Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."  God is always good.  He has given us exactly what we need to sanctify us and bring us into a deeper fellowship with Himself.

"Remember this, had any other condition been better for you than the one in which you are, divine love would have put you there." - Charles Spurgeon

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. This was really encouraging, Anna! Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Anna, this is really good! And that is fabulous that your brother tied in one of his memory passages to your comment-that shows they are thinking about them! I love that passage in Matthew. 2 other passages that have really encouraged me this summer(not necessarily BB related but are very applicable during this time of intense focus) are Isaiah 55:2-3 and Psalm 107:9. The sweet reminders of the One to put our focus on, the One who is always there for us, His children! Thanks for sharing, girl! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are both great passages, Rachael! Thanks for bringing them back to memory. =) God is so good!

      Delete
  3. Aw, thank you, Rachel and Rachael! I looked up those verses, Rachael, and they were very encouraging! I was actually just thinking about the Isaiah one today :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for an awesome article! Very encouraging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your thoughts, Anna! This is applicable to so many of us Bible Bee-ers! A Scripture that came to mind when I read this is Psalm 94:19, "When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul." Keep running towards Jesus and laying your burdens at His feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmmm...what a wonderful verse, Kaitlyn! Thanks for sharing! <3

      Delete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!