Preparing for Test Day

10:45 AM

Well, the big day is coming up very soon!  In this post, I wanted to share how I prepare physically, mentally, and spiritually for Locals.  Obviously, this is what I think works best, but different things may work better for you.  For example, one of my sisters doesn't like to do much studying the day before the test, but I don't think I could bear to just not study that day.  But that's what works for her, so that's fine :).

A few days before
  • Physically: Stay away from sugar as much as possible.  I know, I'm typing this right after I ate a tortilla which probably contained sugar.  But really, you should if you can.  This is especially important if you don't eat sugar regularly.  If you don't eat sugar very often, it can make you feel worse than it would make the average person feel.  Another thing: clip your fingernails. If my nails are too long, it really distracts me.  Why people like to (and how they can!) grow their nails out really long, I'll never understand.  Don't clip your nails the day of, or they may be tender and it may be painful to put pressure on them.
  • Mentally: If you haven't already done so, then make it a priority to finish your Discovery Journal and verses.  If you have, then review your Discovery Journal at least once.  Make sure that you've mastered Greek.  Take pretty much every practice test you can find (I'll link to some soon).  Perfect your verses.  Review any study notes that you've written. (If you want some more "homework", you can check out my post from last year, Cram Studies.)
  • Spiritually: Take time to thank God for all the ways He has worked in your heart through the study and memory passages.  Pray for His will to be done and for complete contentment with whatever that may be.  Pray that you would be able to glorify God no matter what happens.
One day before
  • Physically: Continue to stay off sugar.  If there's something that sometimes makes you feel not quite right, then avoid eating that, too.  Make sure that you eat plenty for supper; I could tell you a long story from Nationals about when I didn't do that, but I'll spare you the trouble of hearing it.  Do not stay up late the night before.  Go to bed at a normal time.  Yes, you might be able to get in an extra hour or two of studying by staying up late, but you'll feel groggy while taking the test. A couple hours of late night studying probably aren't going to help you on the test. 
  • Mentally: Have someone test you on all the memory passages.  Review the whole Discovery Journal.  This sounds impossible, but if you're allowed to spend most of the day studying, you really will be able to do this.  In previous years, I've been able to do it when the study was much longer, though it did take me pretty much all day.  This year, the study is considerably shorter, so you should be able to do it, especially if you're already very familiar with John 13-15, and fairly familiar with the cross-references and Greek. When I review my Discovery Journal, I read all the highlighted parts.  If there is a cross-reference that doesn't ring a bell, then I'll look it up.  I'm guessing that this would take 2-5 hours, depending on how thorough you are and how well you know everything.
  • Spiritually:  Pray before you go to sleep.  Most likely, you will have a hard time going to sleep, so come before the Lord and ask Him to help you surrender all your goals and dreams to Him.  Isaiah 26:3 is a verse that I thought about a lot last year on test day: "You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you."  Although I did feel a little nervous, I felt deep peace because the Lord helped me to keep my mind on Him and trust in Him.   
August 6th, 2016
  • Physically: Get up at a fairly normal time.  Eat a good breakfast with protein.  Eat something that you like, but not something very sweet.  I tolerate eggs for breakfast, but I'm not eating them on Saturday because they tend to make my brain feel a little thick.   If you have a Bible Bee t-shirt from another year, wear it.  Maybe it's just me, but wearing a Bible Bee logo gives me an extra boost.  If you're going to be taking the test somewhere away from home, then wear comfortable shoes that can be taken off.  I take off my shoes during the test because I feel more comfortable without them; sometimes, I even sit cross-legged in my chair during the test, because that's the way I usually sit (like right now).  If you're going to be taking the test between meals, you may want to eat a snack.  Drink water so that your brain will be clearer and you'll feel better.  If you wear contacts like me, then make sure that your eyes aren't too dry (especially if you will be taking the test in the afternoon or evening).  I'm not sure where to put this, but stay off the internet until you've taken the test.  If you don't, you may see something from someone who already took the test, and you don't want to do that. 
  • Mentally: If you haven't learned something yet, you're probably not going to learn it now.  This time really needs to be spent on a quick review.  For me, this is reading John 13-15 and my memory passages if I have time.  If you take the test later in the day, then you may have time for more review.  
  • Spiritually: Take some quiet moments before beginning the test to ask the Lord for His mercy and grace to be displayed throughout it all.  Remind yourself of some passages in Scripture that are especially encouraging to you.  I remember just minutes before taking the test last year, the Lord used Proverbs 3:5 to calm me and enable to me to relax.  "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding."  Right then and there, I realized that I was not prepared, could not do it own my strength.  I had to place the test in the Lord's hands and rely on His understanding, which is so much greater than my own.  The Lord was faithful, and He supplied me with abundant grace and strength.  
That about wraps it up!  I know that this is a rather unusual post; I don't normally tell people want to eat on my blog! :)  But hopefully, this helped you to spend these last days working heartily for the Lord (Colossians 3:23).  Set your mind on Christ, looking to Him for understanding.  Apart from Him, we can truly do nothing. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Unusual post, yes:) But very, very helpful!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Whether or not you clipped your fingernails or ate sugar today may not effect your score, but you never know! :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Anna! These are all very good tips and reminders!
    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reminders Anna! I've found many of these tips to be helpful (even the staying away from sugar part ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a ton! I just realized I've been eating sugar almost excessively these past days!
    ~BibleBee1215 (Christine)

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!