"Let not your hearts be troubled..."

9:59 PM


"...Believe in God; believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also." (John 14:1-3)

When I was learning John 14:2-6, I didn't really think about it in connection to John 14:1.  John 14:1 was about trusting God instead of being anxious.  John 14:2-6 was about our eternal home that Jesus is preparing for us and Jesus being the only way to the Father.  But these two passages really go together beautifully.

A couple of weeks ago, some good friends of ours took us tubing at a nearby lake.  Maybe it's just me, but when I spend a day without hardly a chance to study (I was driving on the way home, so I didn't get a chance then, either), I have to think of some way to study without my Bible, Discovery Journal, and beloved binder.  So, I started going through my passages in my head.  I actually do this pretty frequently -- waiting at the optometrist, picking blueberries, going down water slides, or just about anytime that I have to spend a large chunk of time away from studying.

As I went through John 14:2-6 and thought about the context of it, I was struck by how good the passage is.  We live in a world full of sin, but this is not our home.  The time we spend on this earth is so short compared to the time that we will be in eternity.  Because of this, we should be content with whatever God gives us while on earth.  We shouldn't be worried about the little things that happen here -- or even the big things -- but we need to take it to the Lord and trust in His goodness in all things.  He is preparing a place for us, and He's going to come and take us to be with Him forever!

2 Corinthians 4 is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, and it is also one of the first that I memorized (I actually still remember most of it, even though I've hardly reviewed it since I memorized it three years ago!).  In verses 8-10, he tells the Corinthians, "We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies."  Wow, that sounds pretty hard, doesn't it?  Afflicted, crushed, perplexed, persecuted, struck down: these are not words that sound easy or pleasant.  But through it all, we see the hope of Christ.  Paul does it all so that Jesus' life may be shown clearly in Him.  He goes on to say in verses 16-18: "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.  For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."  What a perspective!

A few months ago, my sisters and I went to a young ladies' retreat that was about seven hours away.  On the way home, one of my sisters and I (the other was asleep) had a really long (and encouraging!) conversation.  We were sharing with each other about how, even though things aren't looking too good in our nation right now, we aren't really afraid, because our hope is in Christ, and not in a human leader.  Persecution may come.  But Christ will continue to be good through it all.  He is in control of our lives and will take care of us and only give us what is necessary for our sanctification.  Life isn't going to always be very easy, but the Gospel is going to continue to shine through the darkness.  Like 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 says, these trials now are preparing us for eternity.  Think how much sweeter eternity will be if we are afflicted on earth.

The point of all this is (in case you're having a hard time following my train of thought in this rather long post), whatever you're facing in life right now -- whether it be a Bible Bee test or the death of a friend -- believe in God.  "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?" (Genesis 18:25)  "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28)  God has always done what is right and will continue to do so.  We shouldn't question His will, because He is always kind and gracious.  Over and over, He has shown steadfast love and faithfulness to His people.  He will be with us always.  So we do not lose heart!

"For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong."   2 Corinthians 12:10

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thank you so much for all of your encouraging posts! I don't go on different blogs very much, but I'm always so blessed when I read yours.
    Yes, It's absolutely AWESOME to know that God is in control...no matter what happens!!!!!!!!! Such a needed reminder. Thank-you!
    ~Rachel M. from MN:)

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!