Abide in My Word

6:38 PM


So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” 
John 8:31-32

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

I am so excited to begin studying John 13-15 with you all!  I know that God is going to use this study to teach us some amazing things.  His Word is packed full of truths, and John 13-15 is a great passage to study.

When I saw that the theme of the study was abide, I immediately thought of John 8:31-32 (the passage at the beginning of this post).  The Greek word for abide is "meno", which is usually translated abide.  This word means that we're staying, continuing, remaining, and enduring in Jesus' Word.  As John 8:31 says, the true disciples of Jesus will abide in His Word.   Now, this doesn't mean that all we do is read, memorize, and study God's Word.  But it does mean that Jesus' words are living in our hearts and we long to keep His Word.  Our desire is to obey God, and when we remember that "the law of his God is in his heart; his steps do not slip" (Psalm 37:31), we will want to hide more and more of God's Word in our hearts, so that we can know how to obey God.  And this is why we're doing the Bible Bee.

I know that for me, the temptation is to focus so much on the competition aspect of the Bible Bee that I forget why I'm studying John 13-15.  I want to "do well" on the test, and so sometimes, I think so much about that that I neglect to really and truly abide in God's Word.  But the reason that we're doing the Bible Bee this summer is so that we can have a deeper relationship with our Savior.  We're doing it because we're His disciples and we want to abide more fully in His Word.  Jesus' words in John 13-15 are going to change our lives this summer!  Even when we're tempted to gather head knowledge, some of it is still going to leak into our hearts, and it will make an impact on our lives.  This is our motivation.  Like the Psalmist, let's pray, "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of your law."

Press on!  Keep your eyes open to see all that God is going to teach you.
In Christ,
Anna

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!