Bible Bee 2016 Prep

4:38 PM

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a hard time believing that Bible Bee is almost upon us? :)  I'm not sure that I've completely recovered from Bible Bee 2015, but I am definitely excited for this new Bible Bee season!  In this post, I want to share a few tips on how to get a head start on Bible Bee 2016, even though we don't have the study materials yet and don't know what the study book/passage will be.

First of all, set goals for yourself.  Here are some suggestions for goals (some of these are harder than others): memorize all the local passages, complete the Discovery Journal, review the Discovery Journal a certain number of times, learn all the Greek and Hebrew words, memorize the study book/passage, write or help write a practice test, or read a commentary.  Make goals that are difficult, but still attainable.  While it's important not to be lazy with your goals, we also need to remember to entrust them to the Lord and follow His guidance in them.  One thing that I've been learning recently is that, while goals are usually very good and helpful, being open to whatever God wants me to do is more important.



To prepare your mind and heart for a new Bible Bee season, go ahead and start memorizing now.  Your brain really needs to warm up to memorizing if you've taken a break, and even if you haven't been taking a break, you might want to increase the amount that you normally memorize so that you'll be able to memorize your verses faster.  I finished up an epistle yesterday, so I'll probably memorize a chapter or two from Romans, just to "stay in shape".  I'd recommend memorizing at least one verse each day until the study materials are released, but doing more than that is certainly helpful.

Now is also a good time to collect your resources.  For me, this includes looking through my study stuff to see if I need to buy anything before Bible Bee 2016 starts.  I know that I need a new binder, some index cards, and possibly page protectors, but I'll be sure to look through my things to see if I need anything else.  Collecting your resources also means figuring out if there are any online tools that you would like to try out this year.  It might be a good idea to go ahead and take a look around the website so that you don't have to spend a lot of your study time trying to figure it out.  I recently set up an Evernote account to see if that would be a good tool for me this year.  It looks like it will be helpful, though not for what I had originally intended to use it, so I'm glad that I went ahead and experimented with it.



Finally, it's important to finish up other projects.  This could mean things like school, replying to emails and letters, organizing, reading books, or just catching up on rest.  Obviously, you won't be able to finish up everything before the new Bible Bee season.  I'm probably not the only one who will be busy with Chemistry, gardening, swimming, trips, blogging, and other things over the summer.  Most of can't (and shouldn't) just shut down the rest of our lives for several months :).  But, there's no reason why you shouldn't get ahead on at least one of those projects right now!

Well, that's all that I can think of for now.  I'm so happy to be starting Bible Bee again!  God is going to teach us some wonderful things this summer as we study His Word, so let's be open to whatever He has to tell us.  I'm looking forward to joining all of you in this exciting journey of discovering God's Word!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is a really helpful post, Anna--thank you for sharing your prep thoughts with us. These would be great for getting ready for any sort of Big Life Thing. :)

    We are excited for BB too, and preparing and waiting for the study materials to be released. I've been praying more prior to this year--the Lord's been laying that on my heart to do. I'm sure that's part of the preparation as well. :) We want to glorify the Lord in how we participate and in how we seek to build up and encourage others.

    I'm looking forward to your posts this summer!

    Mrs. McConkey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anna, for the tips you shared! I can't believe that Bible Bee is almost here! You've spurred me on to start preparing. :)
    ~Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!