Meditating on God's Word: Peace

7:50 PM


Before I get started on how meditating on God’s Word gives us peace, I should probably try to define Biblical peace.  It may not be what you think it is.  Until a few years ago, I thought of peace as being the absence of conflict.  So, basically, peace was when there was no fighting and divisions.  Well, that’s actually not completely true – but it is partially true.  The real kind of peace is the kind that you get when you are reconciled to God, when you’re no longer divided from Him because of your sin.  When you believe in Christ and receive God’s forgiveness, you’ll experience true peace, because you’re reconciled to Him.  You won’t have a perfect relationship with those around you, but you will have peace with God, because Christ has suffered for your sins and given you His righteousness.  Now if that didn’t make sense (and even if it did), you should probably go and do some of your own research on peace.

A few years ago, I read through the whole Bible in a year for the first time, so there were some verses that I had never read before.  I was reading through Isaiah when I came across these verses: “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.  Trust in the LORD forever, for the LORD GOD is an everlasting rock.”  How true!  Scripture meditation is one of the things that keeps our minds stayed on the Lord, so when we are pondering God’s Word, He will give us peace.  Trusting in God will give allow us not to feel anxiety about the future.  God is an everlasting rock, always firm, so we can trust His promises to be always true.  When He tells us in Scripture that He will take care of us, we can have peace.

Being in the Bible Bee, there have been many times that I was worried and anxious about the competition.  There have been a couple of times that I was so nervous that I didn’t even enjoy the Bible Bee (if you can believe that!).  Even if you’re not in the Bible Bee, there’s probably something that makes you feel very worried.  But God always uses Scripture to strengthen me and give me peace.  He reminds me through His Word that He is in control of my life, not me.  I can study a lot and try to do well on the test, but ultimately He’s in control of it.  This gives me peace.  If I were sovereign over what happened, there would be real reason for nervousness, because I would know, This is up to me. But because God is in control, I can (and should) have peace.  I don’t have to worry because He is going to do what is best for me (Romans 8:28).  When I meditate on Scripture, God reminds me, “Don’t be afraid.  I am with you.  Just leave this to me, and don’t be concerned about what will happen.”

“This God—his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.” (Psalm 18:30).  When we think about Scripture, God reminds us that His plan is perfect.  He will be our shield and refuge when we rely on Him.  “On that day it shall be said to Jerusalem: ‘Fear not, O Zion; let not your hands grow weak.  The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness; He will quiet you by His love; He will exult over you with loud singing.’“ (Zephaniah 3:16-17) This is a great passage to mediate on (think about) when you’re worried.  Be quieted by His love.  God is with you, so He will take care of you.

When you're anxious, always turn to Scripture for peace.  I think that we oftentimes have a tendency to want to talk to a person about our fears -- and there's a time for that, certainly -- but it's important that we rely on God for peace.  Listening to what He says in Scripture is what will really give us peace.  He is our friend and we need to go to Him for counsel when we feel worried.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:6-7

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. This is so true! True peace comes directly from the word of God!
    Awesom article, Anna:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank-you so much for this post, Anna! I really appreciated the verses you shared. That Zephaniah passage is so beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, this is such a good reminder! I have found peace to be such a beautiful fruit of meditation in my own life, especially meditating on God's promises! Whenever I go into a situation I know will be a little stressful or unpeaceful (is that a word?), I like to write out a few verses on index cards and take them with me to remind me of God's goodness. Thank you, dear girl, for your encouragement! It is such a blessing and inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!