Meditating on God's Word: Joy

7:41 PM


This year has been very busy for me.  I was out of town most of the first few weeks, so I had already planned to take that time off from memorizing.  I had hoped to jump right back into memorizing once we were home, but I soon found that schoolwork took almost all my time.  So I didn't memorize.  I always planned to do it "tomorrow", but tomorrow never comes; it's always today.  As the days went by, I began to wonder why I wasn't very happy.  I had thought that I was just tired from our trip, but after awhile, it seemed like I should have "recovered" from it :).  I felt like I was easily irritated and discouraged, and I wondered what was wrong with me.  I felt like I was lacking the joy in the Lord that I had had a few months before.  Finally, I realized the problem: I hadn't been memorizing much Scripture recently, and, as a result, I hadn't been spending much time meditating on God's Word.  Of course, I started back to memorizing that day!  And since then, I've felt so much joy in meditating on God's Word.

Jeremiah 15:16 has been one of my favorite verses for a few years now.  I don't really have a life verse, but if I had to pick one verse that best summarizes my life in the Lord so far, it would probably be this one.  It says, "Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts." When we really find God's Word, it will become our greatest joy to spend time in it.  As believers, it should be the delight of our hearts to meditate on God's Word.  Our fullness of joy should be coming from His presence (Psalm 16:11).

Just thinking about Scripture brings so much joy!  When I read stories of God's sovereignty in Genesis, I feel joy in knowing that my God is in control.  When I memorize Psalms, chapters like Psalm 145 make my heart leap.  When I recite passages like Luke 23:33-47, I experience a strange kind of joy -- I feel sorrow that Christ had to suffer the wrath of God because of my own wickedness, but so much joy because of His love for me in setting me free from the bondage of sin.  And when I meditate on Revelation, I rejoice that my Savior is coming to take us to be with Him forever.  We experience so much joy in meditation because we are growing in our relationship with the Lord, and because we see His great love and His hand working in everything.

Psalm 1 talks about the blessed man -- a man who doesn't partake in the way of sinners, but delights in the law of the Lord.  This man is meditating on God's Word day and night.  He is flourishing like a tree growing beside water, and is prospering in everything that He does.  In case you're interested, the Hebrew word for "blessed" here means "happy".   He's happy because he's obeying God and meditating on God's Word day and night!  That is what brings him the greatest delight.

Before I end this post, I want to mention one last thing.  You can't meditate on God's Word unless you're in it.  It's important to spend a lot of time in God's Word so that we can grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18).  I'd really encourage you to memorize Scripture if you want to be able to meditate on (think about) it.  You have to think about a passage a lot (or at least, I do) in order to memorize it, so you will probably end up meditating on it as you memorize it.
Oh how I love your law!  It is my meditation all the day.
Psalm 119:97

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. A very timely reminder. I've been putting off memorizing and reviewing due to school as well. Definitely something I need to get back to.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!