Meditating on God's Word: It's Commanded

3:44 PM


I'm going to try to resist the urge to jump right into how God's Word impacts our lives when we meditate on it, and just focus on the why of Scripture meditation for this post.  The biggest reason for why we should meditate on God's Word is that it's commanded.  If you don't really understand what Biblical meditation is, it's simply carefully pondering Scripture.  It's contemplating what God's Word says.

Joshua 1:8 says, "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success."   In this chapter, God is giving the command of Israel to Joshua (Moses had just died).  God gives Joshua five main commands: lead the people into the promised land, be strong and courageous, obey God's law, speak God's law, and meditate on God's law.  If I were reading that for the first time, I think that I would find that to be pretty surprising that meditation would be one of God's five commands to Joshua.  We (or at least I) don't often think of meditation as being very vital to our relationship with the Lord, but it's necessary that we be filling our minds with His truth.  For Joshua, it was important that he be meditating on God's law so that he could lead the people of Israel well.   Although most of us will never lead a nation of more than 600,000 people, we need to meditate on God's Word so that we can obey it.

What is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and praiseworthy?  Philippians 4:8 says that we should be thinking about these things.  I can't think of anything that fits this description better than the Word of God!  I was recently wondering how different my life would be if I were always thinking about things that fit this description.  Just think how our lives would change if we were always meditating on God's Word!  We would be filled with increasing love for God, His Word, and His people.  We would have abundant peace and joy.

In a way, we are what we think about.  If we spend a lot of time thinking about someone or something, we will become more like it.  When we're constantly meditating on God's Word, it will be our desire to be more like its Author.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Wonderful post, Anna! You're right, we are what we think about - "As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." I know I definitely need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so good. :) Biblical meditation is something I've never quite understood exactly how to do, so I really enjoyed your thoughts on it.

    I'm looking forward to the rest of the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Anna! I'm looking forward to your posts on this topic. I've been searching out insights of the "how" of meditation (since I understand the "why"). I'm glad you will be sharing some of yours with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Philippians 4:8 has been a crucial verse in my life...I really like how you connected all of the verses you mentioned together to make an important point:)

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!