Weekly Roundup//November 1-7

11:59 AM














Abiding in God's Word--A Word Study   As Jesus says in John 8:31, those who abide in His Word are truly His disciples.  "We learn here that in order for God's Word to abide in us, it must sojourn, dwell, or stay with us; much as one would dwell at a home.  It's not just a two week stay, but, as meno describes, it must continue in and endure with and in us."  Also be sure to read the follow-up post on how to abide in God's Word.

Key Words in John 1-12 (in order of importance)  I put this list together last night and thought some of you might enjoy it.  In my opinion, everyone over-studies Greek except for those who don't study it at all.  Last year I looked at every single Hebrew word in Nahum (the Nationals book)...and I don't have time or inclination to do that with John.  So this year I ranked the words roughly in order of importance; if I only make it through the top twenty-five or so, that's probably enough for the test.

People raised from the dead in the Bible (Resurrected)  The other day I was wondering who had been resurrected in the Bible--and then got on the computer and found that someone had already searched and come up with this (ah, the benefits of having qualifying siblings!).  I found it interesting that all the Old Testament resurrections had to do with either Elijah or Elisha.

The Resurrection and the Life   John MacArthur has a study guide for John 11!  My favorite part is the questions over the passage (near the bottom of the page).  Some are simple ("Where did Lazarus live?") and others are more complex ("What is the significance of knowing that Christ can love on a human level?").

Who was Judas' Iscariot's Father?   A fellow Bible Bee-er shared this link, and I wanted to hear your thoughts on it.  Apparently, there's a theory that Judas is the son of the son of Simon the leper; read the article and tell me what you think.

The Passover  Once again I've linked to my favorite Nave's Topical Bible, this time on the Passover.  It's worth noting that two kings known for their reforms (Josiah and Hezekiah) are the ones who celebrated the Passover, not someone like Ahab or Jereboam the son of Nebat.

Revelation 21:1-8  Be blessed by this commentary by Matthew Henry.  We've been watching the Torchlighters videos with my younger brothers and it has been very convicting to see so many stories of men and women who would suffer hardship--or die--for the sake of the gospel.  In Revelation 21, the conqueror is the one who looks like he is the conquered in the world's eyes, but those who would not be burned at the stake in this world will burn in the lake of sulfur in the next world.

Let us be found faithful; the conquerors who have the heritage of God forever with them.  Let us fight the good fight!

Note: Because of travel plans and last minute studying, this is the last link roundup before Nationals.



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. I didn't know that GTY had a study guide on John 11! I'm excited about this.
    Thank you so much for doing the weekly roundups, I've really appreciated them.
    Can't wait for Nationals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, I have *so* enjoyed your round-up posts! They have been very informative. And this one is no exception. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the roundups. They have been very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!