Falling Apart Bibles

6:30 AM


"The Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." -- Charles Spurgeon

Or it may belong to someone who bought the cheapest Bible or who didn't treat their Bible gently. Worst of all, it may belong to someone who spent thousands of hours studying and memorizing from it, but for the wrong reasons. Why do you memorize? I often have to ask myself that question. I love memorizing Scripture, but I have to be careful that my motivation is a deeper relationship with Christ, not head knowledge or the praise of the world.

You probably all know these verses by now: "You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life. " (John 5:39-40)  The Bible makes it clear that we have salvation only in Jesus (Acts 4:12), and that we cannot inherit eternal life through any of our own works (Ephesians 2:8-9). I want to encourage people to study and memorize Scripture, but even more than that, I encourage you to make sure that you know Jesus. Do you believe in the Son of God (1 John 5:13)? I'm not asking if you know about Him or go to church or are a "good" person--you aren't (see Romans 3:10-12)--but if you trust in Him (that is what believe means). Do you have faith that He will always do what is right, that His way is best? It is far more important that you have a relationship with Jesus Christ than that you know a lot Scripture. No amount of memorized verses can buy you salvation--only Jesus' blood can.

As you continue to study (and I pray that it is for the rest of your life, not just until Nationals), keep Jesus at the center of your life. Remember that what you are studying is breathed out by God. Do not study it in the way that you would for a school exam, but out of love for it and it's Author. May He be glorified in all that we do!

"With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!"
Psalm 119:10

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!