The Real Test

3:55 PM


Back in April, I got my driver license manual. Instead of beginning by reading the sections that I needed to know for the test to get my learner’s permit, I decided to first read the practice questions after each lesson, just to see how much I knew. I was a little surprised at how much I knew, just using logic and what I already knew. It was tempting to think, “Hey, the test won’t be very hard, so why bother to study much?” Then I remembered that doing that wouldn’t help me when I actually drove. I would probably end up being a really bad driver and would constantly be asking questions about how to drive. It wouldn’t matter how well I did on the test if I still didn’t know how to drive.

A week from today, you will take a test. It may be easy, or it may be the hardest test that you’ve ever taken. But compared to the real test, the test of life, it’s easy. James 4:17 says, “So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.” I normally think of sin as doing the wrong thing, but this verse spells it out clearly. Sin is not heeding the commandments of God. You’ve spent hours and hours studying Scripture this summer. You’ve memorized over 40 verses (maybe more). You know the right thing to do. If you don’t obey the lessons that you have learned from what you have studied, you are breaking the law of God.

Let’s look again at the example of driving. Why was I going to study for the test? So that I could pass the test? Yes, but the real goal was so that I could drive a car. Why do you study for the Bible Bee? So that you will get a high score? I won’t deny that that is often a goal of mine, but if that is your primary goal then something is wrong with your priorities. Our main goal in studying God’s Word should be to know Him better, and thus be able to serve with all our heart.

The Bible Bee is a great competition. God has used it to change my life. But if all that you get out of it is a bunch of head knowledge and maybe some cash prizes, is it truly worth it? No, it wouldn’t be worth it if that was your only reward. It would be a waste of time. Think about all those hours that you spent studying. I don’t know about you, but I think that there are very few ways that our time could be better spent (if we apply the truths that we learned to our lives). God’s Word is powerful, living and active! It can transform our generation. Will you allow it to; or will you hide the verses in your head, not allowing them to fill your heart and mouth? We’ve learned God’s Word. Now is the time to speak and live it!

No matter how you do on the test next week, it is very insignificant in light of eternity. If you have repented of your sins and trusted Christ for salvation, you will one day get to live with Him forever! Do you think that it will matter how you did on a test (even if it was on the Bible) then? No, of course not! What matters is that you are serving God wholeheartedly right now, that you are glorifying Him in all that you do. What matters is that we know God better through what we have learned in the past two months. This is true treasure! Money will rot and the glory of man is fleeting, but the glory of God is eternal! Let’s go and live out God’s Word!


“Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts.” 
Jeremiah 15:16

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wow, thanks so much for the great reminder, Anna! It's so easy to forget why we're studying for Bible Bee and get really excited about the competition. :) But just knowing a bunch of facts isn't going to do you any good. Rather, the goal of Bible Bee is get to know Christ better, and those who have this mind set are the true winners. Thanks again, this was really encouraging! ~Kaitlyn R.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!