Highlighting your Bible Bee Study Guide

6:58 AM


I wish you would bear with me in a little foolishness. And you know you're in Bible Bee if you immediately thought of 2 Corinthians 11:1 when I said that. Well, it may seem kind of silly, but I'm pretty proud of my study guide. My family knows exactly what I like, and so, for my birthday, I got highlighters, index cards, page protectors, and some other great study stuff. Of course, once I had page protectors for some of my study guide, I had to buy some for the rest of it to make it match. I think that my study guide must be the envy of every Bible Bee contestant. I even have tabs. And do you see the highlighter in the picture below? You can see through part of it, so you don't highlight stuff that you didn't mean to! It's great!


The real reason that I wrote this post was not to make you jealous of my study guide (although I don't blame you if you are now), but to tell you about something that has really helped me to study the past few years. I honestly don't think that I would have qualified for Nationals in 2013 if I had not done this. Every year, except for 2012 (my first year to participate in the Bible Bee), I have highlighted every key thing in my Sword Study/Bible Bee Study Guide. I may circle some paragraphs or sections of pages, but the important thing is that when I go back to review, I can find the things that I need to review quickly. I don't have to skim through paragraphs that don't need to be studied, because my eyes are drawn to the pink (or whatever color I'm using) on the page.


We've all heard that review is essential. If we don't review, we will probably forget in a very short time. I try to highlight the previous week over the weekend. As I highlight, I sort through what is important for review and what is not. It really is a good review. Then, the next weekend, I'll try to review as much as I can (preferably all the weeks, though that may not always be reasonable). It's probably a good idea to look up passages a second time at some point, but this method allows you to review much quicker without spending all the extra time looking up passages. You could probably highlight less than I do; I'm a bit of an over-highlighter. You can also write notes on the page. In the picture above, I wrote at the top of the page the reference to a cross-reference that I was writing about. The reference was on the page before it, but this helps me to see it quickly.

You could highlight the "Wading In" and "Diving In" sections in different colors (I had this idea too late to do it this year).
Even if you don't decide to highlight your Bible Bee Study Guide, try to review it as much as you can. Contest-wise, it is more important to know the Bible Bee Study Guide well than to be just be familiar with a bunch of bunny trails (ones not included in the Bible Bee Study Guide).

Continue to press on! Let's remember that the goal is to know God better; not to know everything. 
Less than three weeks to go!


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. Great idea! I love your clear highlighter, BTW... :) Where'd you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy it (since it was a birthday present) but I think that they probably got it at Walmart. If not, maybe Kroger, Dollar General, or Dollar Tree.

      Delete
    2. Oh, okay. We don't have Kroger near us, though we did go to it once in TN for Nationals... I remember 'cause we kept saying the name with rolled r's while Dad was in the store. :P Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I discovered highlighting last year and it worked so well for me. I think I mainly used it for CRs, so I could go back and find them to compile a list of them, but this year for the SS I've found highlighting extremely helpful for scattered facts (names, dates, G/H words, etc.). Makes finding info during Mrs. Davis' SS games much easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, highlighting is SO helpful! It makes reviewing so much quicker.

      Delete
  3. I'm just discovering the joys of highlighting this year! =) I have two colors--one I use for things to remember for the test, and the other is more application/things I've found interesting. I'm hoping that will help me to apply some of this stuff I'm learning, as well as being able to remember cross references, key ideas, and so on.

    Quite fun post! You must have SO many page protectors. xD And I'd love some tabs in my study guide...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea!

      Yes, I think that I have 125 (which will cover 250 pages), but I'm wondering if that will be enough :).

      Delete
  4. I use colored pencils to highlight. I use Green for CR, Blue for important info, and Orange for Greek words. I find it very helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to try that next year :). That would be very helpful when I went back over my study guide later making lists of things.

      Delete
    2. I use highlighters for my Study Guide too, and the funny thing is - the same colors as Carissa...wow! xD Blue for important info, Green for CR, and orange/pink for Greek :) I find it extremely helpful...makes it easier to find things!

      Delete
  5. Yes, we really like using highlighters too! It's helpful for review and further cements things in your mind as you're going through the study. :) ~Kaitlyn R.

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!