Cram studies

2:33 PM



Wow! I can't believe that I am already writing a post on this. Time sure has flown. People have differing opinions about cramming before a test -- some say that you should take a few days off before, while others will stay up into the wee hours of the contest day. I prefer a compromise. I definitely try to study a lot the days before the competition, reviewing everything that I've learned, but I think that it's a good idea to get a good night's rest before you take the test. I've made a list of some ideas on how to study/review the last week. I certainly do not expect to have time to do it all, so don't think that I'm expecting others to, either :). These are just some ways to study and get a good review of all that you have learned in the past five weeks.

1. Finish your study guide at least a few days early. Doing this will enable you to spend lots of time reviewing. Unless you really have to, it's best not to be scrambling around, trying to cram in Day 5 of Week 6 before you take the test the next morning.

2. Review your Study Guide as thoroughly as possible. Of course, thorough will mean different things for different people. If you're able to lookup every cross reference again, great! If not, don't stress. If you highlighted your Study Guide, then you would want to read all the highlighted parts that you have time for.

3. Play the Greek matching game. If you made cards for this, then now is a good time to play with it a lot! My siblings and I usually play it a few times in the days leading up to the competition to help cement it into our brains and learn the ones that we don't yet know. If you are too sophisticated for games :), then just making sure that you learn the Greek well is good.

4. Summarize verses that you aren't very familiar with. In 2013, I realized that I didn't know 1 John 2 very well, so I summarized all the verses from it. Once I was done with that, I realized that I didn't know another chapter very well, and so I summarized all the verses from it. I think that I ended up summarizing all the verses eventually. With the number of verses in John 1-6 (283 or 284 depending on your version), it may not be reasonable to summarize every single verse. I had originally planned to do them all, but now I'm not so sure with the small amount of time remaining before the competition -- we'll see.

5. Be familiar with as many cross references as possible. Again, with the number that we have this year, this may not be something that you have time for. But if you have time, look them up again, and write down how it relates to John 1-6 and a few words to remind you what this passage is about (if it has any oddities, be sure to write those down!).

6. Take practice tests. Quizlet has quite a few (just search "Bible Bee 2015"), and there are Bible Bee quizzes on Memverse several times a week.  A group of contestants just finished writing practice tests for all three age divisions. Special thanks to Matthew Minica, Everett Chew, Dani Miller, and all the other contestants who helped write these practice tests. Click here for the Primary, Junior , and Senior practice tests. When you take practice tests, time yourself to make sure that you can go fast enough. Try not to let how you do on practice tests effect how you feel about the actual tests. Last year, I got 16 more questions wrong on the local test than I did on the practice test. On the other hand (if I remember correctly), I got 21 more questions right on the Nationals test than I did on the practice test.

7. Review your verses as much as needed. This is very important. Knowing cross references is fine and great, but it's much more important that you be able to recite the twelve assigned memory passages word-perfect at a good pace. Listening to some of the Scripture songs on sound cloud (in your version) will also help.

8. Study your memory passages. Don't just memorize them -- ask interview questions and really try to understand what the passage is saying. See how it relates to John 1-6. Read the surrounding chapter of the passage (this really helps with understanding the passage). Make sure that you know who wrote the book that the passage is in.

9. Relax. Hmm, not very easy, is it? But really, don't get stressed when you don't know everything (you're not going to). Because God's Word is inspired by Him, we won't ever understand it all. The more we study, the more we'll learn from it -- and the more we'll realize how very little we know. Trust God with the results and remember that you are studying to know Him better. While high scores and qualifying for Nationals are certainly exciting, if that's all that we accomplish this summer, then we've failed. Pray and ask God for strength to help you finish the last few days of this study.

"Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”
John 6:68-69

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I am new to Bible Bee. Do the questions change each year and do the questions only pertain to the summer study? TY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Bible Bee! It is a lot of fun, and I'm sure that you'll be very blessed by it! If you are talking about the questions on the online test, yes, they do change each year. Almost all of them pertain to the Local study, although there could be a bit of General Bible Knowledge or a Greek word or something else that was not in the study. However, you don't really need to worry about those a lot. Just know the study well and you should be good to go! :) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me, and I'll be happy to try to answer.

      Delete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!