Five a week challenge: Week 6

12:00 AM



Congratulations! You have reached the last week of this challenge, and at the end you will have memorized at least thirty more verses than you did two months ago! What has been your favorite verse from this challenge and why? Mine is probably still Jeremiah 15:16, but I have added quite a lot of new favorites to my list :).

Psalm 112:1
"Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments!"
This is one of my new favorites :). The psalmist begins by praising the Lord, and then he says that those who fear the Lord and delight in His commandments are blessed. It is such a blessing and joy to delight in the Word of God!

Proverbs 16:16

"How much better to get wisdom than gold! To get understanding it to be chosen rather than silver."
The other day, I read 1 Kings 3, and I was thinking about how Solomon chose wisdom over gold and then later wrote this Proverb. True wisdom, the wisdom that comes from God, is far more precious than any earthly riches.

John 5:39-40
"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life."
I know that I sometimes study the Bible with wrong motives -- to get a high score in the Bible Bee, so that I can impress others with everything I know, just to ease a guilty conscience, etc. I think that sometimes we can deceive ourselves into thinking that if we memorize a lot of Scripture or know enough general Bible knowledge, God will love us more or that God will be impressed with us. But when we compare ourselves to God we see that all of our "righteousness" is filthiness before Him (Isaiah 64:6). He alone is good. He is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6). You can only have eternal life through Jesus Christ. No matter how much you memorize, no matter how many hours you spend studying the Bible, you will never have eternal life unless you repent of your sins and believe that God raised Jesus from the dead (Romans 10:9).

Psalm 119:97

"Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day."
I think that a good test of what we love the most is what we think about the most. The more you love God's Word the more you will want to meditate on it. Think about the Word! Fill your mind with it, so that there is no room for sinful thoughts. Keep on studying His Word, and loving it more and more! Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (2 Peter 3:18). Keep seeking Him!

Posted by Anna Moss

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Sorry for not getting the verses up on Scripture Typer! They're up now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice verses! I liked this challenge - thanks for doing it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!