Five a week challenge: Week 1

12:00 AM



Here is week one's verses! Each of the verses appears here in ESV (the version that I use), but if you click here, it will take you to Bible Gateway where you will see each of the verses in ESV, NASB, NKJV, and KJV. Also, I have written a little commentary after each verse. I would love for you to comment and share your thoughts on these verses, as well!

Psalm 119:103
"How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
It is probably obvious why I chose this verse. The name of this blog comes from this verse, and long before I was seriously considering starting this blog,  I thought it would be neat to name it Sweeter than Honey because of this verse and the Bible Bee.

Jeremiah 15:16
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts."
If you know me from Nationals, you have probably seen me sign your program with this verse. It is one of my favorites of my favorite verses :). I really like it because it's what happened to me. When I really dug into God's Word, when I found it, it became to me a joy and the delight of my heart! Studying God's Word isn't a duty, it's a privilege!  

Hebrews 4:12
"For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."
Wow! What a powerful verse! You may remember from Ephesians 6 that the Sword of the Spirit is the Word of God, yet God's Word is even sharper than a two-edged sword. When we compare ourselves to the Word of God, we are convicted and we see that our thoughts and intentions are not righteous before God. We see that we are in need of God's grace because what we think, say, and do does not match up with God's law.



Isaiah 40:8
"The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever."
God's Word endures! No matter what, God's Word will remain. As believers, this is such a comfort to us. We know that though all else fails God's Word is true, it will come to pass, it will accomplish its purpose. God never speaks an idle word. Everything that He says is 100% true, and it has a purpose.


John 17:17
"Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth."
Think about this in a mathematical way (sorry!) :). If truth=word, then this passage is basically saying, "Sanctify them in your word." You may remember that this is in the middle of the High Priestly Prayer, the prayer that Jesus prayed shortly before He was crucified. It is amazing that right before He was about to be crucified, no, not just crucified, but right before He would suffer the full wrath of God, Jesus prayed for His disciples. First, He prayed for Himself, that God would glorify Him (Jesus), so that He would glorify God. Next, He prayed for His disciples. This is when He prayed, "Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth." Finally, He prayed for all who would believe in Him, that they would be unified and see the glory of God. If you have a chance this week, I would highly recommend reading John 17. It is such a good chapter!

Persevere as you memorize this week! Depending on how much you are used to memorizing, this may or may not be very challenging. I'm not going to say, "Don't give up!", but I will say, "Don't give up quickly!" Stick with it as best as you can. Don't let it eat up all your time so that you don't have time to pray, serve others, etc. However, at the same time, don't let less important things crowd out studying God's Word. Let us press on to know the Lord!

Posted by Anna Moss


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Did you hear where Nationals is? San Antonio. I'm not surprised, but we probably won't be able to go :'(

    I'll be memorizing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on Scripture Typer? I made a group for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making the group, Hannah! I just joined it this morning. Would you mind if I shared the link to it in this Monday's post? Yes, I heard about San Antonio. It will be interesting to have it at the same place three years in a row. I hope you can still come!

      Delete
    2. No, I don't mind! Go right ahead, I want lots of people in it! :)

      Yeah....

      Delete
  3. Lovely verses! A very nice blog you have here. I would recommend that you add the GFC button so bloggers can follow you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! My sister just added the GFC button. Let me know if it doesn't work!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait for BB this year! I am a third time senior. Hope that you can make nationals, Lord willing! Really nice verses.
    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete

Please make sure that your comment is in accordance with Colossians 4:6: "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person." I will not reply to every comment, but if you have a question or concern, I will try to get back with you.
Thanks for making my day!